Spring Celebration Salad (Serves 2)
1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 beetroot, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 handful of sprouts, washed
1 tbsp sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
Optional: 1 tbsp sauerkraut
Dressing: 1 tbsp cold-pressed sunflower oil*, 1 tbsp apple balsamic vinegar*, 1tbsp water, 1 tsp wholegrain mustard, 1 tsp ume plum seasoning*, 1tbsp Atlantic sea vegetable flakes*, 1 tsp orange zest (*all available from Clearspring)
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add a pinch of salt and the broccoli florets. Parboil for 2-3 minutes. Cool immediately under cold water and drain.
- Arrange the broccoli, beetroot, sprouts and sauerkraut on a plate and sprinkle the seeds over the top.
- Mix the dressing ingredients and drizzle over the top.
Winter-warming recipe: Sweet Potato Delights
(Makes approximately 16 portions)
3 medium sweet potatoes (steamed, peeled and mashed)
1 apple (peeled and cut into cubes)
3 dried apricots (chopped)
½ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp tahini
¼ tsp vanilla essence
30-50g ground almonds
ground cinnamon to taste
rind of 1 orange
a dash of oat or other grain milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C, Gas Mark 5
- Dip the apple cubes in salted water (approx. ½ tsp + 100ml water) and place in a small saucepan. Sprinkle with cinnamon powder and simmer with the lid on until soft enough to mash.
- Combine the mashed sweet potatoes, apples, apricots, sea salt, tahini, vanilla essence and orange rind in a bowl. Add the quantity of ground almonds to create a thick enough mixture to form into mini sweet potato shapes. Adjust with the oat milk as necessary.
- Use two spoons or a wet cloth to form the shapes and lay on an oiled baking tray.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon powder and serve either hot or cold.
Adapted from Deko Nakajima’s recipe